From: Chapter 8: Phases of Treatment: Stabilization, in Methadone Maintenance: A Counsellor's Guide to Treatment (© 2003).
Stabilization is the first phase of treatment. This phase addresses the following aspects of treatment:
• engaging the client
• addressing stigma
• orienting the client to MMT and to the program
• urine screening
• assessing the client
• treating acute medical and psychosocial problems
• achieving an optimal dose of methadone
• introducing harm reduction strategies
• treatment planning
• stabilizing other drug use (including alcohol)
• establishing functional stability.
Phases of Treatment: Stabilization
Other online chapters from Methadone Maintenance: A Counsellor's Guide to Treatment: